Thursday, March 23, 2006
Bloody bloody bloody. Hell hell hell!
I was just going to remain bemused by all of the hoopla surrounding the "Where the bloody hell are you?" ads that are being shown overseas, but now I'm starting to get a little up in arms about the reaction.

You can find the ad over at Knitty Kitty's if you haven't seen it - the basic outline is we're trying to advertise Australia as a tourist destination, giving the impression that we've prepared the country just for YOU, and we're ready for you to come and visit. So, where the bloody hell are you? It's meant to be friendly!

Here's what I read today on ninemsn:

"The controversial commercial has made its US debut in front of 20 million American TV viewers and one influential group was not amused. The American Family Association (AFA), which has more than two million members and leads campaigns against abortion and gay rights, was upset with the bikini-clad model Lara Bingle's use of "bloody" and "hell" in the ad's tagline."
Right... I can see why these reasonable people should be involved. They seem very stable.

"British TV authorities dropped a ban on the use of the word "bloody" after pressure from Australia, but now Canadian authorities are unhappy with the way the ad portrays beer drinking."
And how is that exactly? That if you're on holiday you might enjoy a cool, refreshing beverage?

"When you think 'bloody' in America you think the red liquid that flows from human bodies which is usually a sign of some kind of violence," [AFA Director of Special Projects] Sharp said. "Australians are spending all of these millions of dollars inviting us, and if we go over there are we going to be exposing our kids to foul language and images of bloody?"
YOU DICKHEAD.

It's just an ad. "Bloody hell", and similar variations, are a normal part of the speech here, and only the most uptight, sensitive types would flinch at hearing it. I personally don't really like the ad, it seems pretty dumb to me and I am once again a bit embarrassed at the type of Australia that gets promoted overseas, but I'll defend this stupid ad to the death against big crybabies who have nothing better to do with their time than whinge about it.

On a happier note, I am loving the Commonwealth Games. Australia has won 158 medals so far (more than double our closest competition - England) and John Steffensen is my new favourite person. The Games remind me of being a kid, and watching people like Duncan Armstrong and Hailey Lewis and I don't know... they just make me feel secure and happy. Now THAT'S sad.


6 Comments:

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

If AFA has anything to with "Focus on the Family" then they are part of a major right wing group of crazy people.
Its a load of bull, Canadian beer is like moonshine.

Blogger Loz said...

I think they're the same people... and they're so much fun!
In fact their website is my new favourite, it's horribly funny. I don't know if they intended it that way though. I like this bit:
"We're looking for faithful volunteers who will take just a few minutes each day to pray for the needs and concerns of American Family Association. Our goal is to have a 24/7 nationwide team of prayer partners."
Click here to sign-up, then follow the simple steps to set up your prayer profile, and become a Pray for AFA prayer partner. You will be asked to pick the days and the times you want to pray. You may set up your prayer schedule any way you like."

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Dash Bradley.

Blogger Fella said...

Bob is hammered. Sweet.

I had to examine the commercial's nuance very closely five or six times to fully appreciate its... uh, nuance.

I think it's fine commercial. Just fine, indeed.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

I have yet to see these ads, but I will tell you that Americans have a fascination with Australia. There is pretty much nothing you could do to turn us off to Oz.

Oh how I miss it there...

Blogger Loz said...

Bob: you jiiiiiive tur-key! feel free to come and comment here anytime you've been to the pub. YOU, my friend, are the shizznits.

Ubie: sigh. I know!

Nicky: the girl who says that line while in a bikini is Lara Bingle, and she's now having a problem with some topless photos she did before the ad... how's that for a nuance? I'm betting your favourite bit is where she does a little boob-jiggle while delivering the line?

Brooke: would you mind telling the crazy bastards at the AFA how great we are? and you should come back here - i mean, the ad wants to know where the bloody hell you are. the doors are always open, as long as you're not being smuggled in illegally on a fishing boat.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer