Wednesday, September 06, 2006
In all seriousness...
Given that maybe, I don't know... 4? people actually still read this, I'm pretty sure I can say what I like without causing much trouble.
Maybe to the rest of the world Steve Irwin was just that dumb, funny, outrageous Crocodile Hunter that they could have a laugh at. "Crikey!" Yeah, he gave that impression. That over-the-top personality is what got him so much attention, that enabled him to make so much money to put into wildlife and habitat conservation. He wasn't a rich man, he wasn't living up this big fancy life and laughing all the way to the bank, he was doing everything he could to preserve that which he was passionate about. To Australia he was a national icon, a part of our identity and a great example of what being an Aussie means. He was just THERE, and he was comforting and familiar and normal. He was generous and funny and devoted to his love of animals and more than anything to his family. When he died it was in an accident - he did not take his life into his own hands, nor was he careless, and he did not deserve for it to happen. The stingray, while lethal, is not known as a predatory killer, and fatalities from its sting are extremely rare to say the least.
I've seen things written around the place that obviously show some people do not take his death seriously. Given that I'm not a relative of Steve's, or a personal friend or spokesperson this shouldn't affect me too much. It's not my job to defend him or his family, or to get upset by the remarks, but I do because it matters to me, and to alot of Aussies.

When Germaine Greer dies, I'm the first in line to speak badly of her in the papers. What a stupid bitch.


5 Comments:

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

I heart you, loz.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

It's not that I'm glad he died; I think I just have compassion fatigue.

I don't know that people outside of the U.S. realize how sick it's become here. Little children get shot just for playing in their front yards in the wrong neighborhoods. While some have obscene wealth, many others struggle with basic needs. Still others have no access whatever to health care or housing.

Body bags come home daily from Iraq, from a "war" fought to secure oil rights for corporations. I am sickened on a daily basis.

So, yeah, I'm sad for his wife and family. But he was engaged in a dangerous line of work and unfortunately it caught up with him. That's a tragedy.

Meanwhile, some children in our major cities must carefully choose their paths to school to avoid gunfire. That's a national disgrace.

Blogger msmachine said...

I appreciate what you are saying. For many of us that persona is the bulk of what is known about this amazing man. From my limited exposure in Canada, I felt that he was a committed, passionate, and giving man who wanted to educate people as he sought to protect wildlife. He had the personality to reach many. I may not use all the right words but I do register a great loss.

Blogger Loz said...

LMK: i heart you too, i do.

ubes: i also have compassion fatigue, and a very heavy heart. i don't mean for us to compare tragedies because obviously there can be no winners there. i know the world can be unbearably ugly, and i don't mean to belittle anyone else's problems by harping on about one event, nor would i expect the same in return. i was just trying to express and process how bad this feels, even if it is not felt as far away as the US. i don't know what else to say. if i have offended anyone then i think it's only fair for me to apologise - sorry.

msm: i think you have used the right words, you GET what we're all feeling here.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I'm not at all offended, Loz.

I'm just kinda shocked at myself. A man died, a fun-seeming man with a family, and I didn't get sad. Surprised, yes. Mildly concerned for his wife and children, yes. But really, truly sad? I didn't.

Why? I'm normally very empathetic. I just think for my own sanity I've had to develop a thicker skin. Now THAT'S sad.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer