Monday, June 19, 2006
Is It Safe?

I've been terrified of having my wisdom teeth removed for most of my life. It all started when I was visiting someone in hospital and sharing the room with them was a young girl who had her head wrapped up in bandages and was vomiting blood. "What the hell?" "Oh, she's just had her wisdom teeth out." Great, I can't wait.

Then some years ago my dentist told me my wisdom teeth probably would not fit into my jaw and I may need to have them removed before they come through. Over my dead body. I'm not going to be one of those people waking up in the dentist's office with a bruise on my chest where they had to kneel on me to get leverage. No fucking way.

This past week I have been in alot of pain, it feels like a wisdom tooth is trying to make its way to the surface and in the process rearrange my facial bones. Everything hurts - my head, my face, my neck, my jaw, my gums. It was time to just bite the bullet and see a dentist about it. I went this morning, and he did some x-rays on my mouth to see what was happening.

I don't even HAVE wisdom teeth.

Best.
News.
Ever.


10 Comments:

Blogger Loz said...

Well nothing really - apparently I'm supposed to use a paste and brush on my teeth every now and then... that should improve things. That's the last time I take advice from the British Book of Dental Health.

Actually I have an infection in my gum where my wisdom tooth should be. That and I have to floss now. I thought brushing and listerine were enough!

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

haha flossing... people who manage to do that consistently are freaks.
Ah yes the big book of british smiles.


congrats on being wisdom tooth free, I only had 3 of them and I don't know which is wierder!

Blogger KJ said...

Your story and reference to the British Book of Dental Health reminds me of the Big Book of British Smiles...

Blogger Fella said...

I had a very similar infection that was so bad it landed me in the emergency room at 2am. I had to have a root canal to make it better. Also, I had my wisdom teeth removed and the pain didn't even come close to the infection. Not. Even. Close.

Don't count your chickens, is all I'm saying.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

I have a wisdom tooth that is completely lying on its side. My dentist says it's not bothering anything so to just leave it. I think it must be my dumbass tooth.

Blogger Loz said...

LMK: i made it through 2 days of flossing and already i'm bored with it!

Kallun: I did think of that... but mostly I thought of Hedley & Wyche toothpaste from Saturday Night Live. British toothpaste sweetened with real sugar!

Nick: I think I was able to get mine fixed before it turned into an emergency room visit, but I guess you're a typical male who will wait until something rots and falls off before relenting and allowing a doctor to take a look. I joke because I care. Truly.

Brooke: I wouldn't expect anything less from you than a sideways tooth :)

Blogger Fella said...

A tie with Croatia sends the Loztralian team into the last 16 for the first time. Congratulations.

Blogger Loz said...

Thank you. I trained hard, I fought hard, I played hard. I really think I earned this. FULLY SICK, BRO.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

What? I've read this three times. I thought I commented.

No?

Oh.

Hi, Loz. Hope you're feeling better.

Blogger Loz said...

Much, thank you.

I take that as a hint about a new post being required! Not tonight darling, I have a headache.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer